Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Formula For Success?

As you get to know each of us better and better here at Beyond the Stuff, one of the things you will discover about me is how much I love to travel! This is a picture of my visit to China late last year!

An incredible trip, it was both enjoyable and an eye opening experience for me as I learned quite a bit about Chinese history, their culture and experienced many of their beautiful scenic nature spots (Yellow Mountain comes to mind!). I even was able to try some of their interesting food choices!

Everywhere we went, the Chinese people were extremely friendly and accepting of our entire group. Quite often they would ask us to pose for pictures, with them, their children and their families... I often felt just like a movie star... This picture is one example of my Adventures in China!



I was moved from tears…

to actual sobs on occasion as I watched the very end of Oprah’s Post Election Show when BeBe Winans, CeCe Winans, Wynonna Judd and Vince Gill performed the song "We Need Each Other Right Now."

Throughout the entire election process, I have seldom spoke of who I was voting for or what I thought about much of any of it as most often I was simply overwhelmed by the negativity of the words and actions of human beings. I was frustrated when two of America’s supposed ‘finest’ stated something (almost anything really) to which the other would immediately say ‘that simply isn’t true’, and then watch the exact same thing in reverse.

I looked on as both sides used negativity, fear and other less than positive strategies and tactics to prove their point, state their opinions hoping to sway voters this way or that. And mostly I just refused to watch it or take part in any conversation about it as my spirit just doesn’t live there anymore. Siiiiiiiiiiigh…

But now that the election is over, now that the races are won or lost and with my ability to be open to both candidates in many ways for varying reasons… I was curious to see how people were reacting to this once-in-a-lifetime, truly historical election, so I tuned in to watch Oprah's special.

Being the gracious receiver of the election results and the will of the majority, I loved McCain’s heartfelt concession speech, offering to assist and help President Elect Obama in any way he can. I also loved Obama’s acceptance speech that was so warm and uniting toward a country that voted at an almost even split. I loved his ‘I may not have earned your vote, but I’ve heard your voice” sentiment directed to McCain supporters.

And for a brief moment I began to wonder of both candidates…

“Where were these words, these feelings, these united we stand, divided we fall speeches during the past 2 years?”

I do not blame either candidate specifically or individually as this is the way US politics have been for as long as I can remember, even within the individual parties (i.e. Hillary vs. Obama) just a few short months ago.

So… why the tears today?

Truthfully, it was the release of some incredible pent-up feelings of SADNESS combined with RELIEF and LOVE flowing out of my core being all at once! My innermost self was literally crying out that it was ‘tired’ of feeling like it had been ‘holding its breath’ while waiting as so much negativity flew around this country for sooooo long. And the love flowed because I sense just how torn some people still are depending on which side of the fence they were on. (I often sense and feel the ‘emotional stuff’ in others around me. )

Whether you followed the election closely or not, anywhere you ventured to go or with most anyone you engaged in conversation, its likely they had a strong point of view—which when informed, is truly valuable and a great thing indeed!

Unfortunately, many also had some negative and harsh comment or tirade to say or yell about the other candidate or the opposing party. Daily my email box was filled with something negative about this one or that one or their running mate. Even television shows both fiction and reality joined, embraced and rather ‘enjoyed’ this horrible display of ugly human behavior. And many Americans… laughed.

What makes a nation as vast and great as ours collectively agree that this type of campaigning is ‘normal’ or good? Because its successful? Because it works?
That may be so and regardless, I continue to agree with Eckhart Tolle in A New Earth, as he discusses how this behavior on any level implies that 'success' of this type is being viewed ONLY as a future event where the ends justify the means. i.e. Negative and abusive campaigning is ‘okay’ because in the end we may win through the use of it!

In other words, you may have finished the project, won the election or achieved your goal; but at what cost?

When negativity, anxiety or stress reign in any endeavor, Eckhart states the reality of what is…

“You spent two years polluting your body as well as the earth with negative energy, made yourself and those around you miserable, and affected many others you never even met.”

My belief? True and genuine success is achieved only through small and measurable ‘successful present moments’. Successful moments of full awareness, where our deeds and our time are spent in truth, integrity, and experienced solely through the foundations of love. Something I did not see through nearly 2 years of our nation’s campaigning.

So today, as I listened to this wonderful song, “We Need Each Other Right Now”, presented by Oprah to begin reuniting a country torn apart by its very own 'formula for success', at long last I breathed… and then I cried as I let out ALL the heartfelt sadness I’ve been feeling and sensing in my inner being as this election on many levels (in my opinion) reached new heights of LOW…

No matter how the 2008 election turned out, it was destined to be a new moment in history, and this indeed was an incredible, historical election in many ways. I celebrate all the hopes and dreams of those who have waited and envisioned this day for so long.

I now also, quite joyfully, add my own hopes and dreams that in these next 4 years on the winds of such an incredible, historical event, that one of the changes I will get to see and experience will be a healthy, new and more positive way to campaign for the highest office our country holds dear!

And what an incredible moment that will be…

Kelly K. Brown
‘Being’… Beyond the Stuff

No comments: