Friday, January 23, 2009

The Power of Silent Stuff - by Robin Gorman Newman

I'm actually not sure what to blog about today.

I had planned to get this done much earlier, but my day got away from me.

I can't complain. I do believe that things flow as they should, but it it did throw me off schedule.

I had a 10AM call planned to discuss a project for my moms venture, http://www.motherhoodlater.com/, and what I thought would be a 1/2 hour phone chat turned into 1.5 hours.

Then, my 90 year old dad with health challenges, called, and we discussed some alternative approaches he might explore for his ailments. (I'm always on the lookout for something that might help him to feel better.)

That put me behind in my plans to tackle various items on my To Do list.

Before I knew it, it was time to run out the door. I had an appointment for a private discussion/meditation session with a woman at an amazing place in town called Global Harmony House. http://www.ghhny.com/ It's a worldwide organization that teaches raj yoga meditation, which I embrace. It has changed my life, though I don't practice it nearly as I should.

But, a number of years ago, I had a major health scare, and through meditation, I was able to learn the benefits of silence. Going into myself to learn to trust my gut and to hear my inner voice. It gave me tremendous clarity and decision-making power.

I definitely need more of that. I'm feeling very indecisive and a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I'm in that racing the clock mode, and I don't like it.

I'm trying to make a few decisions re: projects to move forward with, and I'm getting all caught up in the details and it's making me feel somewhat stuck. I find that when I feel like I have too much on my plate, I just cannot think clearly.

I need to somehow take a step back and dwell less on all the minutia. It doesn't help to overthink a situation.

That is part of what we discussed in my meditation session today.

People are so busy and think way too much. We don't always allow ourselves to feel and just be. And, the more we think, the more we can get overwhelmed with thoughts that are self-defeating. We anticipate that something may seem harder than it would really be if we just tackled it. Even if that meant breaking it down into steps that make it more approachable for us.

But, why is it so hard to give yourself permission for some silence? I'm SO bad at allowing that for myself. And, then we wonder how we could be more joyful. If our brains are constantly on overdrive, we don't even know after awhile what does make us happy.

I am truly guilty of that.

And, in a fast paced city like NY, where I live, we are surrounded by noise and the desire for achievement.

At least I have the awareness of my behavior and attitude.

I will endeavor to stop and breathe more during the day. To get into a periodic mode of silence. To allow my creative juices to flow. To invite answers to come to me. And, to be grateful for all the exciting projects I am involved with...and for my health...loved ones.....etc.

I know that I will ultimately know what choices are best for me.

1 comment:

Kelly K. Brown said...

Awareness! What a wonderful and fantastical word.

I believe all of life comes down to just that word... awareness of Who You Are... What You Want... What you are thinking... What you are Feeling----and then making adjustments from that Inner Knowing brought about by Awareness!

You are so ON THE PATH GIRL!!!!!!

Hugs, Happiness and most of all JOY for you Robin!

Kelly :-)