Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sleep Stuff - By Robin Gorman Newman

I am weary this week.

It's snowy in New York, and I'm tired from it....among other things.

Seth, my son, was off on Tuesday from school for administrative reasons, and we ran around and did errands, he went to the eye doctor (which was a whole drama for him) and we had a playdate with a little girl in his kindergarten class. They're cute together. A budding romance with five year olds....very sweet.

The next day, I spent the afternoon with a friend who is launching a cool business and needs guidance on the PR front. I am media training her so she will be comfortable doing press interviews, especially television. It feels like a trip down memory lane, taking me back to my days as a VP with a NYC Public Relations firm. Was that another life? No....me.....only younger....and pre-motherhood. I kinda miss those days sometimes, as much as I love my son. Parenting does wear me out some days.

Today I was on the Forum for my site http://www.motherhoodlater.com/ and got upset because there was some spam on it. I realized that it needs to be better controlled, and that hadn't occurred to me. Who would bother to visit a moms site and post gibberish and other appropriate content?!

I just feel like I've been jumping from project to project this week.

And, I'm not sleeping well. I hate that. And, I'm not a napper, so I don't make up for it. It's like I have an automatic alarm in me and I get up around 4AM almost nightly. I stumble into the bathroom, where I often check my Blackberry (yes....I'm an email addict), and then make an attempt to go back to sleep. Then, before I know it, the alarm goes off and I rush to get Seth off to school. Next I debate about going back to sleep, which I never do. I figure I'll wake up eventually even if I spend much of the day being a bit out of sorts and irritable from insufficient sleep.

What is this waking up about? Maybe my mind isn't quiet enough? Maybe it's hormones? Maybe a combination?

Tonight Marc (my husband) is out at a work function. I put Seth to sleep. He was wiped too. (Sometimes I find his sentiments echo mine.. interesting.) And, I'm going to crawl into bed early and hope that I can doze off and make it through the night and wake up refreshed. What would that feel like?! (One can only hope, and plant the seed for sleep success.) I so need that!!

Sweet dreams to you!!

No comments: