Monday, December 22, 2008

Life is... - by Liimu

I was in Target today buying some things for my newly organized home office and came across a beautiful framed picture that said something like, "Embrace the struggles, because in the struggles lie perseverance and in the perseverance lies hope."

Well, that is a very nice saying, but you know what? I'm not going to put something up on my wall about the struggles in my life. I will embrace them as they come, but I'm certainly not going to invite them in for tea and then ask them to take up permanent residence in my main living space.

Life is happening. And life is good.

I am happy. The fifth and final person in my house (my husband) just got knocked on his butt by a stomach bug, but he's lying here next to me sleeping peacefully, as are our three daughters, and since I got it first (exactly one week ago), I am pretty sure he'll be feeling much better by the morning. I had a wonderfully productive weekend this weekend - got the girls off to see Santa, finally, and took a beautiful picture of the three of them with the man of the hour. My husband even came with us, despite feeling ill, and despite the fact that the Eagles were playing tonight. I also got the Christmas shopping DONE this weekend, including the stocking stuffers.

Life is happening, and life is good.

My family has been really pulling me toward the brink of insanity, as I have come to believe the word insanity should be defined: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Without going into details, let me just tell you that I had to have a third party tell me on more than one occasion that I am running the risk of becoming dangerously codependent with my family...again. This is dangerous because my disease is a many pronged-weapon of mass destruction (albeit less mass than I was sporting three months ago...ha ha ha). So, just for today I made some tough decisions so that I could continue to grow and recover.

Life is happening, and life is good.

I got the evaluation back from an editor I hired to take a look at my first ever, full-length fiction novel. She said there were some good things about it, but the long and short of it is that I have to start over. Fortunately, I'm enrolled in a writing workshop in February that promises to give me the building blocks I need for starting a novel, not rewriting one, so that worked out perfectly. Because guess what?

Life is happening, and life is good.

I cannot complain because things continue to turn out so much better than I could have ever dreamed or hoped for. And for now, I'm falling asleep as I type this so that means I should leave it here for now. Just remember these words - life is going to happen, whether you allow it to or not. And the main influencer for how your life is going to go is you and your thoughts. So, do you want it to be a good life, or a life filled with struggles and misery? Because you can decide it will be a good life. The struggles will come, life will happen. But only you can decide if you will focus on the struggles, or the good life you have been blessed with. The choice is yours.

No comments: