Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Too Much Stuff to Do! - by Mary

(This is the fun stuff we should concentrate on - fun with friends..and oh... Kelly Ripa!




Can you believe it? It’s one week until Christmas Eve! And from everyone that I’m talking to, everyone has too much stuff on their plates!

Teachers gifts and parties, cookies to send to school, planning Christmas eve parties and dinners, trips out of town, parents getting sick, people stressed and having upsets with each other, presents to buy, people who are sick that we’re attending to, company parties, finding stuff to wear, holiday cards to send, and the list goes on.

No wonder my sister said she’d like to skip the festivities this year. It’s so much stress building up to a special day (or 8 days if you’re Jewish) and so many responsibilities and expectations, that everyone ends up stressed out and pooped out!

Why do we do that to ourselves? Did you know that there have been studies done where one week after Christmas, they’ve interviewed people on the street to ask what presents they got and most people can’t even remember the gifts they received? I’ve heard its true in many cases although certainly not all. And what about the food? Does it really matter if we spend hours and hours and hours in the kitchen, or if we run by Cosco and pick up some appetizers and make a pretty tray? People are still going to enjoy the food and not really care if you or a professional labored over it.

I’m like everyone else. I’ve crammed my schedule so tight for the next few days that today I almost felt like I was hyperventilating. I didn’t have time to talk with my mom or my friend who called to share some good news, and I haven’t finished up some work that one of my clients is waiting for. I’ll be working tonight, after my son is in bed, just to get all of these things done.

But just to be clear, I have tried to make things easy. I shopped at one place this year for nearly all of my gifts. It was a HUGE find – The Goodwill Boutique – which has nearly new or totally new items for sale.. that were all donated. I’ve gotten so many amazing things for family members.. all with brand new tags on them. And, regarding shopping for the teachers, I contributed to the “pot” and I’m done. I skipped numerous holiday parties so I didn’t have to get new clothes and I didn’t have to think about buying gifts as house warming gifts. I’m not doing Christmas cards, but will send New Years wishes in January instead. For food for the holiday party- I am shopping at Cosco and I’m working as much as I can while I have the time, and keeping to my work out schedule and keeping my son on schedule. Basically, I’m not going all out to make everyone happy, but I hope to connect with a few special people and hope to add to their Christmas cheer.

I’ve become very, very clear, that I just can’t do it all. But guess what? None of us can. We might do it, but what happens in the process? We stress out to the max and end up frazzled as a result. It’s not worth it to me. Today wasn’t the “feeling” space where I want to be… feeling like my heart was going to pop out of my chest, because I just couldn’t squeeze it all in.

So over the next few days, if someone cuts you off in line at the grocery store, or makes a bad move in the car, or says a sarcastic or cutting remark to you that you feel offended by, try to give that person a break. Realize that they’re under intense pressure like the rest of us, and that they’re trying to do too much stuff. If you give them the gift of just letting it go, and smiling at them and sending them some positive vibes.. you’ll be doing them and yourself and the world.. a good and uplifting thing.

Spread a little peace, enjoy those who are special to you.... and don’t try to do too much stuff!!!



This is the important stuff.... enjoy those special relationships!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put :)

Where is the Good Will store in Orlando you're talking about?