Thursday, December 11, 2008

Technology STUFF by Kelly


Technology Stuff…

Are you a technological buff or is it that you simply can’t find your way around the latest iphone? (Or are you somewhere in-between?)

Technology stuff, for me, has always been a bit of ‘burden’. I LOVE what it does, how it makes my life easier and all the super cool things my life contains because of it, AND I don’t always like having to go through all the books and instructions trying figure it out. It mostly feels like work to plod my way through all the ‘details’ and mistakes I make along the way. BIG Ugh!

As you may have guessed, whenever I mention a defeating pattern of behavior I’ve become aware of in myself, I typically go searching for the origin--where this ‘type of thinking’ on this subject came from---and then also I seek answers so I can effectively change my future. And this topic of technology is no different.

What I came up with is my old nemesis—FEAR! What? Fear of Technology? Well, not exactly… it’s more like fear of what will happen when I play with technology---when I don’t know what I’m doing, when I don’t know how to fix it.

Having crashed a computer or two… or three (years ago)… and having children who downloaded things that caused a myriad of struggles in my business life when my computer no longer functioned properly---and NOT knowing how to fix it quickly and easily myself… created a space of fear about trying new things with any sort of technology.

Most recently, I’ve had a series of THREE brand new printers that for some reason unknown to me, keep failing when I really need them and all the time and energy spent replacing, re-installing them, etc. is my least favorite thing to do. I found this frustrating, irritating, and annoying because again, I didn’t know how to get things moving again quickly and easily. (And you can’t believe how I miss my fax/copier/printer when it is not functioning properly).

As you can see… I wasn’t focusing in a positive manner (which is the fastest way to change ANYTHING in life)! I wasn’t being present in the moment and accepting that what is, IS WHAT IS, until I recently made an internal shift to just be ‘okay’ with whatever was up in my ‘printer gone wrong world’, and began choosing BETTER thoughts about me, technology and how we could play better together in the future!

I decided I’d had enough of this Fear of Technology life I was experiencing based on past happenings and past programming and have now mentally named 2009 The Year Kelly Soars WITH Technology (rather than against it!)

Every day when I vision (and I do vision my future every day) how 2009 will look and feel for me, my thoughts and vision boards now always include the latest, greatest technology pieces coming to AID me in all my work and play endeavors… from the fun of wii to exciting new software and hardware of all types and sorts---all with FUN in the learning. FUN people to guide me along the way and FUN people showing up right on cue if things don’t go according to plan.

In essence, I’ve decided that for me, technology is NOT to be feared because I fear the mistakes I might make (out with that defeating pattern of thinking), it is actually an incredibly valuable tool that CAN be fun in the learning and growing phases… and from here on, I simply won’t see it any other way!

It’s funny how throughout life, we ‘think’ one thing is going on (in this case, technology mishaps)… and later, we discover it is just another way that fear and doubt are surfacing so we can see them for what they really are (thereby dismantling them) and begin again with new choices of thought and behavior that will bring us a better life!

Stay tuned as 2009 rolls around to keep me on track! If you also struggle with the fear of technology from time to time, feel free to join my journey… the more the merrier I always say!

No comments: